Those of us who have experienced a drain clog that required drain cleaning understand just how much of a hassle that can be. In actuality, it may even appear that the options for solving this issue are relatively complex once you start reading the labels of (highly toxic) drain cleaners, or look up unclogging suggestions on the Internet. But, in reality, the solutions are less complicated than you may think!
When you first discover that a drain is blocked
Immediately stop using that sink, toilet, etc. Putting additional water in can actually exacerbate the problem. You’ll end up with more work, in the long run.
Wear the correct PPC (Personal Protective Clothing) that matches the solution that you’re using (goggles, face mask, gloves, etc.). For example, using a caustic solution requires different protective clothing than when you’re using a plunger. Also, be aware of and follow the procedures that are recommended for maintenance of your protective clothing and equipment.
Unblocking a drain
There are three main steps that are involved whether you’re addressing blocked drains Perth locations or blocked drains Mandurah locations.
- Carefully lift the drain’s inspection cover. For ‘rusted shut’ situations, a screwdriver may be required to scrape away any rust before proceeding.
- Take a rod, that has a plunger-type attachment and work the blockage free.
- After the blockage has been dislodged, flush the drain completely with water in order to wash away any debris that remains.
Preventing more blockages
Here are some tips for preventing future drain blockages that can save you both time and money:
- Regularly check your drains and take note of any indications that a blockage is beginning to form.
- Correctly dispose of waste. This is especially true of waste products such as grease, hair, food, etc., which have a tendency to cause blockages.
- Make sure that you don’t allow plant matter and/or flowers to get into your drains. Use drains guards, if applicable.
- Make sure to rinse dishes of excess food particles, prior to placing them in your dishwasher.
However, when it comes to drain cleaning, you also have the advantage of being able to call in skilled professionals, like the experts at Tunnel Vision, to deal with your blocked drains Bunbury location or the surrounding areas.