Every Perth household should have a reliable plumber to call on in case of emergency. Nobody knows know when those drains will become blocked and when the normal unclogging methods won’t work.
But what do you look for when choosing a plumber? What are the tell-tale signs that you can trust one plumber over another?
Beware of fake plumbers and other scams!
Most importantly, make sure that you don’t fall for any plumbing scams set up by fake plumbers. A few indiscriminate scammers out there will try to pass themselves off as licensed plumbers when they don’t have the necessary qualifications.
So before letting anyone in your home to check anything, make sure they are fully licensed. All Australian tradespeople must display their licence number on ads for their services but don’t just accept that; ask to see an ID card as proof.
The Plumbers Licensing Board is part of the Department of Commerce at the Government of Western Australia. Check there if you have any doubts.
What else to look for when choosing a plumber?
Following are a few other great tips to follow when choosing a reliable plumber:
- Gather a few quotes: even if you already have an established and reliable plumber it’s good to keep them honest. For jobs likely to run over $1000 why not gather a few quotes together from licensed plumbers in the area to see how they stack up? Get the quotes broken down into call-out charge/labour/material costs. Also check hourly rates for future reference.
- Check experience: this is especially important for more complex jobs. How many years experience does the plumber have? Has the plumber worked on the type of problem you have before and have the know-how to diagnose and fix the problem?
- Check equipment: does the plumber have just the basic plumbing equipment or use the latest plumbing technology such as drain cameras and non-dig technology for repairing damaged pipes? Do they have the necessary tools for the job?
- Check insurance and guarantees: make sure your plumber is fully insured as plumbing work in and around your home can be high risk. Ask to see proof. You need the peace of mind that if something does go wrong then you are covered. Also – does your plumber provide a guarantee for the work, especially for new installations?
- Check if the plumber is available: If you are looking for a plumber available at short notice then check their availability. How busy are they? If they are fully booked out for the next two weeks then it might be better to look elsewhere, as serious plumbing problems cannot wait.
- Following the above tips should help you choose a reliable plumber that can be of service for years into the future.
Tunnel Vision has been providing professional plumbing services for Perth homes and businesses for many years; we use the latest plumbing technology to fix problems quickly and affordably – contact us here or call 1800 631 799 for a quote.